What is the best route for driving into Leavenworth?
- From Seattle: This quick 2 ½ hour drive goes through a couple small towns and nice mountain scenery. There are three possible routes from Seattle: US-2 E, I-5 N and US-2 E, or I-90 e and US-97 N. US-2 E is the quickest and most direct route.
- From Everett: The best way to get to Leavenworth from Everett is from US-2 E and takes about 2 hours.
- From Portland: To get from Portland to Leavenworth, you have three options: I-5 N and US-2 E, I-5 N, or I-84 E and US-97 N. Each of these drives takes approximately 5 hours.
- From Spokane: Driving through this stretch of Central Washington with its mountain and desert landscapes takes about 3 ½ hours. You can take either US-2 W or I-90 W.
Pangborn Memorial Airport
- Airport Code: KEAT
- Location: In Wenatchee. Take US HWY 2 E toward Spokane. Right on WA 28 E. Turn left onto Grant Road, right onto S Airport Way.
- Airlines: Leavenworth airlines are Alaskan Airlines/Horizon Air
Seattle Tacoma International Airport
- Airport Code: SEA
- Location: Head southwest on US HWY 2 W for 85 miles. Turn right onto WA 522 W. Take exit toward Bellevue/I-405 S and merge onto I-405 S. Continue onto WA-518 W. Take exit toward Sea-Tac Airport and merge onto Airport Expressway.
- Airlines: Air Canada, Air France, Alaskan Airlines, American Airlines, Horizon, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest, Lufthansa Airlines, Icelandair, Emirates, and more.
Do I need a car to explore Leavenworth?
Frankly, a private car is much more convenient in Leavenworth. Whether you choose to rent a car or drive your own, many of the places where activities are located require a vehicle for access. Because Leavenworth does not have a particularly reliable mass transportation system nor bicycle routes for green transportation, a private car is one of the main modes of Leavenworth transportation.
If you are planning on staying at a hotel near downtown Leavenworth and only taking advantage of the downtown activities, a car is not nearly as necessary. Everything in the downtown area is within walking distance of each other. However, you will not be to access activities outside of the downtown area without taking a taxi or paying for some other type of vehicular transportation.
Car rentals are available both at Sea-Tac and Pangborn Airports. There are a few taxi and shuttle services in Leavenworth and Wenatchee.